Saturday, July 14, 2012

Turn on the lights!

Lighting in churches really bothers me.  I know most church goers today like the dimmed lighting but I don't get it.  Who wants to feel like their in a coffee house (at best) listening to a casual poet illustrating his points with the latest movie/tv show.  It sets a certain atmosphere which, and this is for another time, plays into the music, causing such an emotional response but let's face it, who can argue with experience?  Hmm..oh, I know, lets ask what does the Bible say about light?  (1) We are the light of the world (Matt 5:14), why are we meeting in dimmed lighting?  Are we trying to hide from the authorities so they won't break up our service, like our brothers and sisters in China?  Not to mention my straining eyes, even though everything is on a screen, I still like to look at my Bible, which again isn't so readily available to our brothers and sisters in China.  (2) God is light, there won't be a need for the sun in the millennial reign of Christ because God will be the source of light (Rev 22:5).  He is very bright.  Remember Moses' encounter with Him in Ex 33:18 ff?  So while we don't want to make it so bright that it's uncomfortable, the mood lighting really gives a false sense of our future worship and experience with God.  What's wrong with natural lighting?  Or if your sanctuary doesn't have windows turn on the lights!

No comments:

Post a Comment